Jacket of floral printed cotton on a cream ground, lined in a red and white cotton and piped with a printed and glazed cotton. At the back of the neck is an inscription printed in Arabic inside and underneath an architectural cartouche interspersed with turned column.
During the Qajar dynasty (1794-1925), jackets of this type in silk or cotton with elbow-length or long sleeves and short slits at each side of the waist were the preferred overgarments for women during the summer months. The long, pointed sleeves, as seen on this example, would have been folded back to reveal a pirahan (chemise) or jewelry cuffs worn underneath.
Similar jackets are preserved in several museum collections, including the Brooklyn Museum (18.11), National Museum of Ethnology, Leiden (503-253), the Textile Museum (1975.3.2), and the Victoria & Albert Museum (730-1884).